Ambassador André Haspels speaks with George Washington Memorial Parkway Superintendent Charles Cuvelier during his visit to the Netherlands Carillon on October 21, 2020.
Ambassador André Haspels visited the Netherlands Carillon to inspect the progress of the bell tower renovation on October 21, 2020. He was received by George Washington Memorial Parkway Superintendent Charles Cuvelier.
A symbol of gratitude
The Netherlands Carillon was donated by Queen Juliana on behalf of the Dutch people to the American people in 1952 to express the Dutch gratitude for the US aid during and after World War II.
The 127-foot-tall, open-steel structure with 49 bells was unveiled at its current location, overlooking Washington, D.C., in 1960. During the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the end of World War II, in 1995, then-Prime Minister Kok presented the 50th bell to President Clinton.
In addition to the restoration, on the occasion of the celebration of 75 Years of Freedom, three new bells were be cast (in the Netherlands) and will be added to the historic instrument to increase the range of the instrument.