Circular business models provide an innovative method to address the growing scarcity of resources, such as fossil fuels, raw materials, and fresh water.
Ambassador Henne Schuwer of the Royal Netherlands Embassy and Congressman Paul Tonko (D-NY) will co-host a forum, “From Trash to Treasure,” to jumpstart the discussion on how companies and legislators can transition to a circular economy.
Under the Dutch Presidency of the EU, the European Commission adopted proposals that promote the circular economy by using economic incentives to encourage manufacturers to make greener products and by setting targets to:
- recycle 65% of municipal waste and 75% of packaging waste by 2030;
- reduce landfill to a maximum of 10% of municipal waste by 2030;
- and ban placing separately collected waste in landfills.
Representatives from both the American and Dutch private sector will address the opportunities and barriers that businesses will face when making this transition in a panel discussion, followed by a Q&A. The session will be moderated by Kevin Moss, Global Director of Business Center at the World Resources Institute.
- Eunice Heath, global director of sustainability at Dow Chemical Company
- Joost Böggemann, vice president of business development at Inashco North America, a company that converts ash to raw materials
- Jason Graham-Nye, co-founder at gDiapers, a disposable diaper company that is cradle-to-cradle certified
- John Pouland, public sector acccount manager at Philips Electronics
- Laura Klauss, co-founder at Better Future Factory, a sustainable innovation and engineering studio, and finalist in the 2016 Young Transatlantic Leaders Initiative hosted by Google and the US Department of State
Kevin Moss, global director of the business center at the World Resources Institute, will moderate the panel discussion.
“From Trash to Treasure” is organized under the Holland on the Hill initiative, a joint project of the Royal Netherlands Embassy, the Dutch Congressional Caucus, the Netherlands business community, and the Netherland-America Foundation.
Participation is complimentary. Please RSVP at email@example.com.
Members of the press should contact Carla Bundy, press officer, Royal Netherlands Embassy, 202-274-2632; Jacquelien Nienhuis, counselor for public diplomacy, press and culture, Royal Netherlands Embassy, 202-274-2606; or Sean.Magers, communications director, Congressman Tonko, 202-225-5076.
Follow the discussion on Twitter: #CircularEconomy.